Re: Debian OpenSolaris port, exchange with Sun folks in webforum/MailingList

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 01:35:54AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > It seems the only oposition to this thus far is the choice of venue clause,
> > which i am perosnally dubious of it falling the DFSG (as readers of
> > debian-legal my know, and others can search for QPL and ocaml there).
>
> There's a far more serious problem, which has nothing to do with the
> DFSG - the FSF's interpretation of the GPL forbids us distributing GPLed
> binaries linked against a non-GPL compatible C library. Whether it's
> free or not, the CDDL is certainly not GPL-compatible.

Yeah, sure, but in the case of an OpenSolaris kernel with a glibc based
userland, as we are considering, the point is moot, as the kernel/userland
interface is enough to stop any derivative-work-contagion, so we are back to
the lone choice of venue thingy, and its rather feeble argumentation on
debian-legal, full of chinese dissidents and desert islands :)

The only sane solution and the one i believe is default in international law
is choice of venue to be the defendants court, either zwhere he is based or
makes business.

Friendly,

Sven Luther