Re: Debian OpenSolaris port, exchange with Sun folks in webforum/MailingList

Scripsit Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>

> interface is enough to stop any derivative-work-contagion, so we are back to
> the lone choice of venue thingy, and its rather feeble argumentation on
> debian-legal, full of chinese dissidents and desert islands :)

> The only sane solution and the one i believe is default in international law
> is choice of venue to be the defendants court, either zwhere he is based or
> makes business.

I'm confused about your opinion here. On one hand you seem to feel
that it is OK freedom-wise for a license to have a choice-of-venue
clause stipulating that the licensee must appear in the licensor's home
court in any suit about the software, even when the licensee is the
defendant.

On the other hand you say that the only sane solution is to let the
default rules prevail and have the case take place in the defendant's
home court.

These two do not appear to be compatible (unless you think a license
can be "free" with a venue choice that you do not consider "sane"), so
I must have misunderstood one of them. Could you elaborate, please?

--
Henning Makholm                           "First chapter, the plot advances,
                                 second chapter, Ayla makes a discovery that