Re: glibc and PaX issue

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 20:57 +0200, Grzegorz Bizon wrote:
> I have few question about PaX from grsecurity and glibc in Debian.
> I have etch, with kernel 2.4.28-grsec (compiled by myself) on my
> machine, and I recently ugraded glibc to 2.3.5-6.
 Do you have the paxctl package?

> Suddenly few applications gone insane ;P
[...]
> I tried to google but I didn't find nothing interesting. I think it's
> problem with glibc and PaX from grsecurity patch.
>
> I hardly know how PaX is working but I think it just protects some areas
> of memory that It should not in this case, or sth ;P, maybe it's glibc
> problem ?.
 Do you know that you may need the
http://www.grsecurity.net/~spender/grsecurity-glibc-2.3.3-rc1.tar.gz
patches? But maybe the
http://pax.grsecurity.net/binutils-2.16-pt-pax-flags-200506102235.patch
patch for binutils?

> Installation of ,,fixed packages''[2] soloved this issue. But in my
> opinion better solution is fixing it in Debian :P.
 Debian will support SELinux, I do not know if GRSecurity will have a
chance. :-|

>  It is of course
> possible that I'm wrong and I've missed something (again ...) so,
> please, can somebody explain my what happened ?

It may be better to ask around at
http://www.grsecurity.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/grsecurity

Cheers,
Laszlo/GCS