Re: Unnecessary "Conflicts" with imap-server packages

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 04:49 am, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2005, at 10:31, Brian May wrote:
> > Would it be feasible to have something like "update-alternatives", but
> > instead of managing files in the file system, it allocates port
> > numbers?
> >
> > That way every service that listens on port, for example 143, will be
> > registered, but only one will be "active" at one time.
>
> Please bear in mind that a single computer also can have a lot of IP
> addresses.  For example, I can have apache2 on one address, and squid
> reverse proxy on another, both listening on the same port.

  As I understand Brian's idea, this would just be a way of allowing daemons
to cohabitat in their default configuration.  The administrator would be free
to override the defaults in any way he wanted.

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> ------------------\
|           "But what *does* kill me bloody well leaves me dead!"           |