Re: Interest in packaging GNU Shishi and GNU Generic Security Service?

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 09:32:58AM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I expect the initial packaging to be simple, it is just a './configure
> && make install' package.  Part of the 'make install' procedure should
> be duplicated in the apt install scripts, for the KDC side, but that
> part is not important.  I think it is more important to simply get the
> library and binaries packaged.  How to better co-exist with MIT and
> Heimdal is something that will need to be figured out along the way.
>
> If there is interest in the idea, improving the GSS library to be able
> to dlopen the MIT or Heimdal GSS libraries is an idea I have been
> playing with.  Then Debian packages (like gsasl, fetchmail, curl,
> mailutils, etc, that support GSS) would only have to be linked with
> GNU GSS, and the user can, during run-time through a configuration
> file, decide which actual implementation should be used.  GNU GSS
> would then merely be a shim between MIT, Heimdal or Shishi.  Then
> enabling GSS in more packages would be simpler, without having a
> strong dependency on just one of MIT, Heimdal or Shishi.

Have you looked at the libgssapi package at
http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/ ?

Currently we're just using this for the NFS rpcsec_gss implementation,
but we split it out into a separate library thinking it might be used as
you describe above.

--b.