Re: a place for a package directory in root

On 08/29/05 03:32:55AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Steve Langasek]
> > [use of /dev/shm] inappropriately ties the required feature (early
> > availability of read-write space for data that doesn't persist across
> > reboots) to a particular implementation, instead of leaving the admin
> > free to structure the mounts in a way that's most appropriate for the
> > system.
>
> Well, this *is* early boot he's talking about.  mountvirtfs.sh has not
> been run yet, /etc/fstab lies disregarded.  The admin only has so much
> control over where /run is mounted from at this stage of the game.

As long as this is mounted and run via an initrd/initramfs image then
control over the script should be fine. The admin should be able to edit
either a config file or script under /etc/mkinitrd and regenerate the
image. If the locations are going to be hard coded into the init
replacement,  then there's really no choice.

> I still support a tmpfs /run, but not because it gives the admin any
> particular control.

Jim.