Re: a place for a package directory in root

[Steve Langasek]
> [use of /dev/shm] inappropriately ties the required feature (early
> availability of read-write space for data that doesn't persist across
> reboots) to a particular implementation, instead of leaving the admin
> free to structure the mounts in a way that's most appropriate for the
> system.

Well, this *is* early boot he's talking about.  mountvirtfs.sh has not
been run yet, /etc/fstab lies disregarded.  The admin only has so much
control over where /run is mounted from at this stage of the game.

I still support a tmpfs /run, but not because it gives the admin any
particular control.