a place for a package directory in root

I will start maintaining the packages bootchart (#321784) and have a
question. Bootchart collects data while booting. It is started before
init, which means there is no place in the file tree to write to.

The upstream package creates a directory in /mnt/ where it mounts a
tmpfs. But using a directory under /mnt/ violates FHS, which is a policy
violation. Where should I create the directory? Directly In root? I.e.

Thanks for your help, Jörg.
Computer Science is no more about Computers than astronomy is about
         -- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra