Re: Unnecessary "Conflicts" with imap-server packages

On lun, 29 ago 2005, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Fabio Tranchitella wrote:
> > Having a package installed doesn't mean the corresponding service is
> > started.
>
> If I install something then I want it installed, configured and
> running.
>
> I think you are asking for another type of action for APT.  Currently
> APT has two types of remove.  You can remove leaving configuration
> files or you can purge taking off the configuration files too.  I
> think you are asking for a new type of install target where a package
> is only partially installed.  I could see the utility of that but
> there is no support for it in the code at this moment.

No, I meant that if I have to switch my mail server from $imapserver1 to
$imapserver2, I would prefer to have both imapservers fully installed and
running, for example on two different ports. There is no need for them to
conflicts one with each other, this is annoying and I think it is an abuse
of the Conflicts field, which in my opinion means "you can't install both
packages because (for example) they installs the same files" and not
"you can't install both packages because it is not common to have both
installed, even if it is possible".

--
Fabio Tranchitella <kobold@debian.org>                        .''`.
Proud Debian GNU/Linux developer, admin and user.            : :'  :