Re: Unnecessary "Conflicts" with imap-server packages

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:32:15PM +0100, Edward wrote:
> Is it necessary for the following packages to "Conflict" with the
> virtual package "imap-server":
>
>   bincimap-run
>   courier-imap
>   cyrus-imapd        (*)
>   cyrus21-imapd      (*)
>   dovecot-imapd
>   mailutils-imap4d   (*)
>   uw-imapd           (*)
>
> For example, I recently moved from "uw-imapd" to "dovecot-imapd", but
> found it difficult to setup a testing environment where both IMAP
> daemons were installed, as uw-imapd conflicted with imap-server, which
> was provided by dovecot-imapd.
>
> Such testing is obviously necessary and it would be good if there was a
> way in which it could be more easily supported!

$ sed -ne '19,$p' </usr/share/doc/bincimap-run/README.Debian
The bincimap-run package provides the virtual package ``imap-server'' and
conflicts with other packages providing ``imap-server''.  This ensures that
bincimap is the only service that listens on the address 0.0.0.0:993 on a
system, and also satisfies packages that depend on a running imap service.
The bincimap package without the bincimap-run package can be installed
alongside other imap-server packages on a system, e.g. to provide different
imap or imaps services on different addresses simultaneously.

 -- Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>, Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:45:52 +0000
$

Regards, Gerrit.