Re: Unnecessary "Conflicts" with imap-server packages

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 10:29:20AM +0000, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 07:06:34PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 07:55:31AM +0000, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> > > quality packages to Debian.  I'm confident the problem will be solved
> > > technically some day.
> >
> > It's solved now - edit configuration files! It's not essential that
> > everything can be configured by adding/removing packages.
>
> It's not essential to have everything configured through configuration
> files.

Perhaps not, but it is the traditional approach on UNIX.

> files.  I haven't heard any reason yet why splitting the packages would
> be a bad thing.
>
> And there's more advantages: it eases usage of different service
> managers than sysvinit and init scripts, support of a different init
> scheme can be done through an alternative package which 'provides' the
> default *-run package; same for services running under a superserver,
> and corresponding alternatives; it plays well with fully automated
> installs; it separates services from programs.

These problems should be solved by discussion and generation of a
policy. IMHO it would be better to have a consistent approach that
didn't solve every problem (or had some other flaw) than to have
each individual developer generate their own scheme.

Hamish