Re: a place for a package directory in root

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 09:26:16PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> sean finney <seanius@debian.org> writes:
> > On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 12:53:09PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> >> /run/bootchart, but there seems to be some resistance to actually trying to
> >> standardize on /run :)
> >
> > what about /dev/shm?
>
> /dev/shm is an implementation detail of POSIX shared memory support by
> the Linux kernel.  See POSIX 1003.1 (2001)
> http://www.cnop.net/docs/susv3/functions/shm_open.html (or download
> from www.unix.org).

didn't know about that, thanks for the reference.

> Some packages chose to place random junk in there (e.g. resolvconf).
> This is wrong.  This location is for (and *only* for) file-backed
> shared memory storage, otherwise there is potential for namespace
> clashes, and it's totally disgusting.
>
> The fact that it's useful for other things should be an indication
> that we need another tmpfs mount, mounted elsewhere, rather than
> abusing a location intended for a specific, unrelated, use.

so it's a choice between abusing a pre-existing location but standards
specified for another use, or using a non-existing location with no
standards whatsover.  can't say i really like either option.  more
specifically because both are not addressed in policy/fhs, i'd be worried
about an in-flow of non-standard, first-come-first-serve namespace
usage.

	sean