Re: Accepted fam 2.7.0-8 (source i386)

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 08:09:06AM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Chuan-kai Lin a ?crit :
> >   * Make libfam0 Provides libfam0c102
> I am afraid you can't do that. libfamc2 does NOT provide
> the same interface as libfam, so they are both incompatible.

It turns out that the published public interface of libfam as specified
in fam(3) is purely in C (that is, C++ is used only internally), so
libfam remains binary compatible across the g++ ABI change.  This
observation was pointed out to me only very recently, otherwise maybe we
could have avoided the package name change altogether.

See http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2005/08/msg00090.html for
discussions related to this change.

--
Chuan-kai Lin