Re: Unnecessary "Conflicts" with imap-server packages

On Tue, August 23, 2005 14:14, Gerrit Pape wrote:
> $ sed -ne '19,$p' </usr/share/doc/bincimap-run/README.Debian
> The bincimap-run package provides the virtual package ``imap-server'' and
> conflicts with other packages providing ``imap-server''.  This ensures
> that
> bincimap is the only service that listens on the address 0.0.0.0:993 on a
> system, and also satisfies packages that depend on a running imap service.
> The bincimap package without the bincimap-run package can be installed
> alongside other imap-server packages on a system, e.g. to provide
> different
> imap or imaps services on different addresses simultaneously.
>
>  -- Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org>, Fri, 17 Oct 2003 07:45:52 +0000
> $

Following this paragraph, the only reason for conflicting with another
IMAP server is to make sure no conflicts occur while listening on port
993. Isn't there another way to resolve this relatively small problem
other than just disallowing multiple IMAP servers?

I'm also interested in installing multiple IMAP servers on different ports
in order to evaluate an IMAP client.

Thijs