Re: Results of the meeting in Helsinki about the Vancouver proposal

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:51:55 +0200, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> said:

> Sven Luther a écrit :
>> All packages should be built by official debian buildds anyway, not
>> on developper machines with random cruft and unsecure packages
>> installed, or even possibly experimental or home-modified stuff.

> What about packages built on developer machines, but using the same
> software as on the official debian buildds? I mean using sbuild in a
> dedicated chroot. I sometimes do that for my packages when buildd
> are lagging or when a package fails to build because of missing
> dependencies.

        The end goal is not just to have packages built on the
 buildd -- and important goal for Debian, certainly, but not the only
 one we have. As promoters of free software, we also are committed to
 have packages build for our users, in a "real" environment, not just
 a sterile, controlled. artificial "debian specific test"
 environment.

        Moving towards requiring all packages be built in such an
 artificial test environment takes us further away from
 ensuring the second goal is met.

        manoj
--
I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure you understood what you thought I meant.