Re: vancouver revisited

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 10:54:43PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Peter 'p2' De Schrijver (p2@mind.be) [050821 22:39]:
> > > - must have a working, tested installer

> > Trivial. debootstrap does that.

> How do you boot the system to run debootstrap? (Note: the answer
> "gentoo" or "Windows" is not what I want to hear :) It is agreed that
> this isn't a too high barrier, but - well, we should still require it.
> If no (potential) port has an issue with that, it's even better.

How do you boot to a system to run debian-installer when there is no
bios or bootloader on the system yet? Should debian-installer support
installing via JTAG? What happens on many embedded systems,
debianish system is debootstrapped on a different machine and put into
jffs2 image,  which is then flashed to a pile of devices. Walking
through d-i every time would be very clumsy, so there is no use
for a working installer for those systems.