Re: vancouver revisited

Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 10:54:43PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
>> * Peter 'p2' De Schrijver (p2@mind.be) [050821 22:39]:
>
>> > Trivial. debootstrap does that.
>
>> How do you boot the system to run debootstrap? (Note: the answer
>> "gentoo" or "Windows" is not what I want to hear :) It is agreed that
>> this isn't a too high barrier, but - well, we should still require it.
>> If no (potential) port has an issue with that, it's even better.
>
> How do you boot to a system to run debian-installer when there is no
> bios or bootloader on the system yet? Should debian-installer support
> installing via JTAG? What happens on many embedded systems,
> debianish system is debootstrapped on a different machine and put into
> jffs2 image,  which is then flashed to a pile of devices. Walking
> through d-i every time would be very clumsy, so there is no use
> for a working installer for those systems.

You would provide a sample jffs2 image. One that you just flash on,
boot and finalize the configuration. Or a netboot image that builds a
jffs2 image on the fly and flashes it.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from porting D-I to such a
system.

I would even suggest having a D-I flavour that installs on a nfs-root
or NBD Device for such systems. E.g. on most mips routers you can
easily run normal Debian over the net and compile your own kernel,
software and boot image to flush a new version. A lot easier than
cross compiling imho.

MfG
        Goswin