Re: Dogme05: Team Maintenance

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 04:20:32PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Tue, August 16, 2005 15:46, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >> We should strive to increase what I normally call the bus-factor; how
> >> many people need to be run over by a bus before the project stops.
> >> And for several of the packages in debian, the count is 1 or less.
> >
> > That's not true. For several of the packages in Debian, it is true that
> > there will be a problem if their maintainer will be run over by a bus.
> > However, that in no way means the project "stops". As the past has
> > taught us, should something like that happen, there will be people
> > willing to take over.
>
> You're missing an important case here: the one where the maintainer isn't
> completely absent, but lacks the time to maintain the package in an
> optimal manner.

Those are excellent reasons to give the package away and/or to start
looking for comaintainers.

[...]
> The argument that a maintainer is currently doing just fine doesn't hold
> in my opinion, since being swamped in other areas can happen to anyone,
> and can happen unexpectedly when it's too late to get a comaintainer.

Uh. I meant to say that there are some packages for which maintenance is
so low-volume and so easy that the overhead imposed by team-maintenance
is just not worth it.

For low-volume, easy-to-maintain packages, it's never too late to go get
a comaintainer. Or to give the package away. And I simply don't believe
that 'important package' implies 'lots of work to maintain it'.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond