Re: Dogme05: Team Maintenance

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 02:46:35PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Alexander Schmehl]
> > Do you realy think you can enforce teamwork?  I don't think so.
> > Either some people will work together as a team or individuals will
> > do it their own way.  And I don't think it will be a good idea, to
> > force those individuals to work in a team.
>
> I agree.  There will always be people unwilling or incapable of
> working in teams, and some of them will be debian developers.  I
> wounder how many of these decided to join in on this thread.
>
> But I believe it is a good idea to remove the most important packages
> in debian from the single set of hands maintaining them at the moment,
> if the current maintainer is unwilling to maintain these in a team.

I disagree. If the maintainer is doing a good job on his (or her) own,
then there is no need at all to take away their packages.

[...]
> We should strive to increase what I normally call the bus-factor; how
> many people need to be run over by a bus before the project stops.
> And for several of the packages in debian, the count is 1 or less.

That's not true. For several of the packages in Debian, it is true that
there will be a problem if their maintainer will be run over by a bus.

However, that in no way means the project "stops". As the past has
taught us, should something like that happen, there will be people
willing to take over. It might take a bit longer for the new maintainer
to be up to speed as compared to when one member of a team gets run over
by a bus, but that doesn't mean "the project stops".

We should strive to increase the quality in Debian. If some people can
produce higher-quality packages by working in a team, then more power to
them. If other people can produce higher-quality packages by /not/
working in a team, then there is no reason to force them to work in a
team.

Don't forget that every bit of teamwork results in some overhead; you
have to communicate to your team members what you're doing, and all of
your team members have to understand it (which may involve tedious
explanations and/or some learning time for your team members). Depending
on the complexity of a package and the amount of work required to
maintain it, this overhead may just not be worth it.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond