Re: Asking Debconf questions about database data

Anthony DeRobertis <anthony@derobert.net> writes:

> BTW: Do you really even need to ask? Couldn't you just tell the admin,
> if you want to delete your data, run dropdb foo? There is a small, but
> certainly nonzero, risk of accidental deletion every time you ask. I
> imagine that risk increases if, e.g., the admin is having to read a
> foreign language (English) which he doesn't know too well.

When one does that, people file bugs complaining that the package doesn't
remove all of the data it generates on installation.  :)

As co-maintainer of one of the affected packages, I'm quite happy to go
along with the general consensus, since I don't really care.  There seemed
to be a dislike of debconf questions in prerm and there was some precedent
for asking this sort of question in postinst, so that's what I've
currently gone with.  It's not a great solution, and I'm happy to change
if someone else has a better idea.