Re: Asking Debconf questions about database data

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 02:35:59PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> When one does that, people file bugs complaining that the package doesn't
> remove all of the data it generates on installation.  :)

there's a similar problem with logfiles too, and there have been quite
drawn out discussions in which both sides stated a pretty good case for
why it's good to leave/remove the files.

> As co-maintainer of one of the affected packages, I'm quite happy to go
> along with the general consensus, since I don't really care.  There seemed
> to be a dislike of debconf questions in prerm and there was some precedent
> for asking this sort of question in postinst, so that's what I've
> currently gone with.  It's not a great solution, and I'm happy to change
> if someone else has a better idea.

i don't think asking in the prerm is so bad, as long as you don't mind
dropping the data during removal as well as purges.

	sean