OT: Bruce Perens spamming -devel?

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 02:16, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 06:32:44PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> > Unsolicited Commercial Email.  Please pay the standard $2000 fee for
> > advertisments on Debian mailing lists.
>
> Y'know, it's fine if you think that Bruce's mail was inappropriate for the
> list, and there's nothing wrong with saying so; but claiming that a message
> that isn't selling anything is UCE, and attempting to enforce against a
> member of the community an advertising policy that daily goes unenforced
> against thousands of more deserving souls, just makes you sound like an
> asshole and an idiot.

How does an asshole sound, anyway? (i.e. please avoid that word).

Adam's right, as I see it. Bruce's mail didn't belong on -devel [0]. When he
chose to post anyway, he didn't prefix his subject with OT:, and on top of
that, top-posts his answers [1]. Correct me, if any of this is wrong.

As I see it, Bruce's posting to -devel should be considered harmless, but that
does not change the fact that it didn't belong here. Job opportunities are
not a technical development topic.

What about creating a dd-contact(at)lists.debian.org-list, so outsiders have a
channel of communication to the people who reads -devel?

Regards, Anders Breindahl.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel:
    Discussion about technical development topics.
[1] Yes, I know that there is no homogeneous opinion on this. I found it worth
    mentioning.