Re: The BTS and bug subscriptions

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
> > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> >> Now ... how hard would it be to add 'submit-subscribe@' support?
> >> Most of the time, when I submit a bug report, I'd like to subscribe
> >> to it. Would this be a straightforward hack?
> >
> > What has actually been discussed is automatically subscribing
> > submitters to the bug report unless some special header/pseudo-header
> > is added to prevent that. [It's possible that this subscription would
> > happen without even needing to confirm the subscription... but that's
> > still undecided.]
>
> That would subscribe every spam the BTS recieves. Very bad I think.

No, it wouldn't. The messages are only sent to people after they have
made it through the spam filters, and for sumitter, it's even more
difficult, because the message must be formatted properly to actually
generate a new bug instead of an error.

The idea was for the submitter,[1] not random commenters to the bug,
to receive this special treatment. Everyone else can just send two
messages, one to bugnum@bugs.debian.org, the other to
bugnum-subscribe@bugs.debian.org.

Don Armstrong

1: Mainly because the submitter doesn't know yet what the bug number
is that they're supposed to subscribe to.
--
Build a fire for a man, an he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.