Re: aspell upgrade woes

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:42:40PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 09:28:22AM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 09:39:23PM -0700, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > > [Actually, although it's written in C++, AFAIK it only exports a C
> > > interface so the transition may not have been necessary.  I only
> > > realized this yesterday though and I'm not entirely sure a
> > > non-transition would be safe.]

> > Christ, not another one. Is there any sort of automated way that we can
> > check for these sorts of libraries before messing things up again? I won't

> Well, before I go and do the same, can anyone help me by checking
> tqsllib?

> Ubuntu has transitioned it in their 'universe' to tqsllib1c2.
> However none of the exported headers contain the magic :: sign of C++,
> so I suspect it's unnecessary. (A recompile to link against
> libstdc++6 should be sufficient, without a name change).

Yeah, this is another lib with a C++ implementation that only exports a C
ABI in its headers.  (other telltale signs to look for besides '::', btw are
'use', 'class', 'operator'; but that may obviously give false positives.)
The C++ bits within the library are a whole lot of template implementations,
and a few internal classes that are only exposed in the headers via C
wrappers.  If you're sure that nothing out there is using tsqllib internals
inappropriately, then there's no need for a package name change.

As others have pointed out, ideally in this case you would have a linker
script that prevents these internal symbols from being exposed at all in the
library symbol table.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer