Re: aspell upgrade woes

Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:
>
>> So aspell changed the library name to libaspell15c2, which breaks all
>> the existing packages that use libaspell.
>>
>> Was this really an ABI change in libaspell?  If not, there was no
>> reason to make the change as I understand it.  Were high-severity bugs
>> filed on all the packages that depend on the library, requesting
>> recompiles?
>>
>> My understanding was that this upgrade would *not* normally change
>> library package names, so I'm wondering why this one did.  The aspell
>> changelog doesn't contain anything illuminating.
>
> Uhh...
>
> aspell (0.60.3-2) unstable; urgency=low
>
>   * debian/control: renamed libaspell15 to libaspell15c2 for the GCC 4.0
>     ABI change transition

So, to repeat, since apparently my questions were not clear enough:

1: Was there an ABI change in libaspell15 itself?  (In the
*programming* *source-level* interface?)  Which functions interfaces
changed, and why were the changes not noted in the changelog?

2: Were high severity bugs filed on all the packages that depend on
the library, requesting recompiles?

Thomas