Re: about voting for bugs

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 12:44:14PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> if you ask me any bug is worth fixing, also if only a single user complained
> about the problem.  So why spending effort in "rating" bugs?

Some of the relevant Bugzilla developers have articulated a couple of
reasons for their voting feature:

 - Users like having the ability to provide some input on bugs they
   consider important, to show that they care about them.  Providing a
   voting mechanism allows them to do this without generating excessive
   noise within the bug log (like "Please fix this!  It's a big problem
   for us!" messages) that obscures useful information.

 - Some developers may choose to use the votes to help them either find
   bugs to work on (eg, people doing general QA work) or decide how to
   prioritise their time.

They considered the former reason much more important since it helps
give a more positive experience for users even if the voting information
is not otherwise used.