Re: mail all bug reporters

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Nico Golde wrote:

> Hallo Santiago,
>
> * Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> [2005-06-29 13:21]:
> > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Nico Golde wrote:
> > > I think you misunderstood me. Example:
> > > An adopted package xxx has a lot of old bugs which are
> > > related to very old versions. Now the maintainer changes.
> > > Now he wants to send mails to all bug openors if the bug is
> > > still actual and can be reproduced.
> >
> > That's not a reason good enough, IMHO, to send virtually identical email
> > to a lot of people.
> >
> > Instead, try to reproduce the bug yourself, and ask the submitter to
> > reproduce it only if you can't.
>
> Yes generally I agree, but there are bugs where this would
> be the case for all bugs.
> Especially if the maintainer changes it is very hard to
> understand them because he had no contact to the submitters
> and doesn't know what the old maintainer talked in private
> to the submitter.

The BTS is public, and we encourage public discussion of bugs, so you
should not assume that the old maintainer talked with the submitter in
private to begin with.

Assuming a good faith effort from the submitters that the bugs were
real at the time they were reported, it is in general your job as the
current maintainer to reproduce them with the current version.

Please don't send unsolicited bulk email in the name of Debian, or as
part of your debian-related work.