Re: Upload new version of gaim-extendedprefs

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 12:42:45AM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > There *is* a lintian check for this, and there is no need for policy to be
> > > updated -- just for you to follow it.
> > Well my package *is* lintian and linda clean, so I guess the check is
> > broken or I am doing something awefully wrong ;) I will attach the debug
> > output of lintian.
>
> $ echo 'E: foo source: depends-on-build-essential-package-without-using-version' | lintian-info
> E: foo source: depends-on-build-essential-package-without-using-version
> N:
> N:   The package declares a depends on a build essential package without
> N:   using a versioned depends. In general a package should not depend on
> N:   build essential packages but if it must do so, the depends should have
> N:   a version string.
> N:
> N:   Refer to Policy Manual, section 4.2 for details.
> N:
> $
>
> Yeah, so I don't know why this check isn't being triggered if it applies to
> your package.  The version of gaim-extendedprefs in the archive doesn't seem
> to have any build-deps on build-essential packages, so I can't compare.

The 'build-essential' package itself is not build-essential, it's a
helper package depending 'accidently' on all build-essential packages.

In the context of build-depends, a dependency on 'build-essential' is
essentially a no-op, but this isn't catched by the above-mentioned
lintian check.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar