Re: Upload new version of gaim-extendedprefs

> 4.2. Package relationships
> [...]
>
>      When specifying the set of build-time dependencies, one should list
>      only those packages explicitly required by the build.  It is not
>      necessary to list packages which are required merely because some
>      other package in the list of build-time dependencies depends on
>      them.[2]
>
> This is a policy *should*, so violating this is an important bug.
OK, as I am not a native English speaker/reader I guess I misunderstood
this part of the policy.
> > As it is nowhere forbidden in the policy and I use CDBS to generate
> > debian/control from debian/control.in (not a build-time though) and CDBS
> > adds the reference to build-essential in the Build-Depends, I am
> > inclined to leave build-essential in the Build-Depends list.
>
> No, CDBS should not be doing this.  The one previous case I was aware of
> where this happened, I was told that the package was making buggy use of
> CDBS internal variables.
Well CDBS is certainly doing this for my package gaim-extendedprefs [1]
and for gnome-panel, but this seems to be a bug in CDBS. I have
submitted a bugreport #316034.

> > If it really should not be done, maybe a check could be added to lintian
> > and/or linda and CDBS and the policy should be updated.
>
> There *is* a lintian check for this, and there is no need for policy to be
> updated -- just for you to follow it.
Well my package *is* lintian and linda clean, so I guess the check is
broken or I am doing something awefully wrong ;) I will attach the debug
output of lintian.

Anyway thanks for the input.

Greetings Arjan Oosting

[1] http://moonshine.dnsalias.org/debian/unstable
N: Lintian v1.23.9
N: Lintian root directory: /usr/share/lintian
N: Configuration file: /etc/lintianrc
N: Laboratory:
N: Archive directory:
N: Distribution:
N: Default unpack level: 1
N: Architecture: any
N: ----
N: Setting up lab in /tmp/Tyy0vZFGuU ...
N: Processing changes file gaim-extendedprefs_0.4-5_i386.changes ...
N: Processing 2 packages...
N: Selected action: check
N: Requested unpack level: 1
N: Requested data to collect: override-file,copyright-file,file-info,debian-readme,debfiles,init.d,md5sums,changelog-file,diffstat,source-control-file,scripts,objdump-info,menu-files,doc-base-files
N: Selected checks: manpages,huge-usr-share,files,menus,debian-readme,md5sums,shared-libs,scripts,debhelper,etcfiles,po-debconf,debconf,standards-version,copyright-file,debdiff,control-file,deb-format,nmu,menu-format,control-files,description,binaries,init.d,spelling,conffiles,fields,changelog-file,infofiles,cruft
N: ----
N: Processing source package gaim-extendedprefs (version 0.4-5) ...
N: Base directory in lab: /tmp/Tyy0vZFGuU/source/gaim-extendedprefs
N: Current unpack level is 0
N: Unpacking package to level 1 ...
N: Current unpack level is 1
N: Unpacking package to level 2 ...
N: /usr/share/lintian/unpack/unpack-srcpkg-l2 /tmp/Tyy0vZFGuU/source/gaim-extendedprefs
N: Collecting info: override-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: debfiles ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: diffstat ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: source-control-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: debhelper ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: po-debconf ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: standards-version ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: debdiff ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: control-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: nmu ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: fields ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: cruft ...
N: Decreasing unpack level to 1 (removing files) ...
N: ----
N: Processing binary package gaim-extendedprefs (version 0.4-5) ...
N: Base directory in lab: /tmp/Tyy0vZFGuU/binary/gaim-extendedprefs
N: Current unpack level is 0
N: Unpacking package to level 1 ...
N: Current unpack level is 1
N: Unpacking package to level 2 ...
N: Collecting info: override-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: copyright-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: file-info ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: debian-readme ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: init.d ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: md5sums ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: changelog-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: scripts ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: menu-files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: doc-base-files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Collecting info: objdump-info ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: manpages ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: huge-usr-share ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: menus ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: debian-readme ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: md5sums ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: shared-libs ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: scripts ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: etcfiles ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: debconf ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: copyright-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: deb-format ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: menu-format ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: control-files ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: description ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: binaries ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: init.d ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: spelling ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: conffiles ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: fields ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: changelog-file ...
N: Current unpack level is 2
N: Running check: infofiles ...
N: Decreasing unpack level to 1 (removing files) ...
N: Removing /tmp/Tyy0vZFGuU ...