Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:39:05AM +0100, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Cameron Patrick wrote:
> >I'm curious as to how this would apply to Debian-derived distributions
> >which either (a) don't change the Firefox/Thunderbird packages, or (b)
> >change them in some trivial way.  Would someone taking the packages
> >unchanged from Debian be required to either ask MoFo for a trademark
> >agreement or rename their Firefox?
>
> As I've said to Eric, and earlier on this list, anyone not changing the
> package would definitely not need to ask. I also suggested that anyone
> changing it within the bounds of the current trademark policy (e.g.
> bookmarks, start page etc.) would also not need to ask - which hopefully
> covers the "trivial" changes that most people would want to make.
>
> Perhaps it would help if I posted my proposal again?
>
> Gerv

The Mozilla Foundation appear to be acting in good faith. They need
to ensure some degree of quality and to protect their trademark.
We have distributed their free software for some time: they are prepared
to give us permission to continue to distribute it under liberal terms
and to extend that to anyone else who meets their quality threshold.

Changing names to "Debian Iceweasel" or whatever would sour a beautiful
friendship/close working relationship (delete whichever is not
applicable :) )

Gerv's post sounds fine to me. Can someone just accept this on behalf
of the Project/an appropriate subset of the developers, agree an appropiate
form of words - perhaps along the lines of my previous post on this
topic? - and we can get on with life, liberty and the pursuit of
happiness??

Andy