Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

Gervase Markham wrote:

> We say Debian has a reputation for shipping quality software, and we
> want them to use the trademark. I would hope you guys also want to use
> it, as a well-known free software brand. Why is our recognition of
> Debian's quality used as a negative against that happening? Anyone with
> a similar reputation (e.g. Ubuntu) can get a similar agreement.

I'm curious as to how this would apply to Debian-derived distributions
which either (a) don't change the Firefox/Thunderbird packages, or (b)
change them in some trivial way.  Would someone taking the packages
unchanged from Debian be required to either ask MoFo for a trademark
agreement or rename their Firefox?

This isn't entirely a hypothetical question - I'm involved in
producing a customised Debian distribution; we have changed the source
code to a bunch of packages (although not any Mozilla ones) and ship a
quite different default configuration for many more (including
Thunderbird and I think Firefox too), and would like to make sure
we're on the right side of Mozilla's trademark licence :-)

Cheers,

Cameron.