Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 11:03:37AM +0200, Martin Waitz wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 12:18:19AM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > The whole question is whether Debian can accept a Debian-specific
> > agreement to call Firefox "Firefox".
> sure, and the consensus seems to be that there is no problem in doing
> so.

> It's only you who doesn't want to accept that.

That's unfair.  I would have summarised more as "there's no problem
doing so as long as Mozilla are reasonable in Debian's eyes".  I don't
want Eric to accept the agreement if for every change of code he has to
run to Gervase and ask nicely. (note that's not quite what's happening
here, rather it's the other way around - the code can be changed but if
it's changed in a way that they don't like they could withdraw use of
the mark)

Mozilla however don't have any objective way of saying whether something
is or isn't good quality and appear to want to micromanage these things.

Gervase, perhaps you could come up with a better proposal that was
objective and could be applied to all parties whilst not being overly
onerous so that people meeting some specific guidelines for quality
could use the trademarked name (oh and solve world peace, hunger and
poverty at the same time, ta ;)).  I believe Eric's asked for this in
the past in this thread.  Is it really such an impossible goal?  I think
it's the uncertainty that scares people here - the fact that if we don't
meet some target we can't see or argue against we might have the license
to use the trademark removed suddenly.

I imagine that the packages will be renamed iceweasel or whatever as
soon as Mozilla make some unpopular decision but I don't see how that
serves Debian or Mozilla particularly.  Sadly the way this thread is
going I can all too clearly see Mozilla making some silly ruling in the
future which doesn't sit well with Debian :(

> You've done a great job in maintaining firefox, please don't rename
> your package based on some personal differences with the mozilla
> trademark policy.

He's not intending to rename it or accept the trademark agreement if you
read the original post AFAIK.

Simon.

--
oOoOo   <Lefinnois> urpmi, rpm, dpkg, apt... connais pas tout ca   oOoOo
 oOoOo moi... moa bourrin... moa gruik dependencies managing....  oOoOo