Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 02:34:00AM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> "Presumably" isn't good enough IMHO. If they cared about fairness they
> would develop a trademark policy that could be applied to everyone,
> based on the "quality" criteria that is right now only known to the
> MoFo.

How do you judge quality? Do you apply some basic filter, read a metric,
and say "this program scores 83% on the scale of good code"?

Or do you have a look at how people write their code, what the result
is, and whether you think that result is a good thing? In other words,
do you make a judgement call?

I think it's the last one; and I think it's going to be pretty damn
impossible to make even one "objective" criterium -- not to mention any
plural form. Any judgement of quality involves some subjective judgement
call somewhere. Not only because it's impossible to think of all the
tricks someone could come up with to sidestep the set of rules you come
up with, while still doing stuff you don't want people to associate with
your name; also because quality /is/ a very subjective subject matter,
after all.

> Debian shouldn't be encouraging the use of trademarks that are not
> equally accessible to all.

True. But what makes you say they're not equally accessible? Do you have
proof that the Mozilla Foundation is indeed not interested in treating
everyone by the same set of rules, and is treating us other than it is
(or will be) treating any of our derivatives?

If not, I don't see what the problem is. Cabal fears perhaps? Well,
then maybe you could suggest that they publically state something like
"We decide on a case-by-case basis whether we think some distributor is
holding up to our standards; but if we feel they are not, we will always
fully motivate our decision", or "We decide on a case-by-case [...]; but
the process is open on $mailinglist for everyone to follow", or
something similar to that. Would that satisfy your fears?

> And we are definitely getting special treatment already from the MoFo:
> would they really even be entertaining this discussion if we were not
> such a large distribution?

Well, I don't know. If I knew my name was being dragged through the mud,
I'd react too. Being called names such as "MoFo"[1], or being accused of
not treating everyone the same way without evidence to support that
action would trigger some nasty response from my end, for sure. And if
that takes a loooong "discussion", so be it.

[1] "Mother****er". Yeah, yeah, I know. Bad pun.

pavement is precisely one bananosecond