Re: Mozilla Foundation Trademarks

Gervase Markham wrote:

> Then I'm slightly confused as to your concept of trademark infringement.
> If I label the car I've built as a Ford (even if it uses a lot of Ford
> parts), it infringes Ford's trademark.

OTOH, as has been pointed out before in one of the many related threads,
if I take a Ford, built by Ford Motor Company, replace the fuel pump, I
can still sell it as a Ford.

I'm not a trademark lawyer, haven't read much on trademark, etc. so I
don't feel competant at all trying to figure where that line is drawn in
software. However, I'd be surprised if putting

	Mozilla Firefox
	Modified by Debian
	(see /usr/share/doc/mozilla-firefox/changelog.Debian.gz)

in the About box and similar things in the package description wouldn't
be allowed.

OTOH, I don't see any issue whatsoever with Debian taking the Mozilla
Foundation's trademark license offer, so long as it only gives Debian
additional rights.