Re: Debian concordance

Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> writes:
> On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 11:35 -0500, Ian Murdock wrote:

>> "Debian packages just work" has been a truism for *years*, and it's
>> been one of our key technical selling points. I don't want to see that
>> fall by the wayside. This thread is a perfect example of what will
>> happen if we don't worry about this stuff *now*. I've seen this movie
>> before.

> Actually, this is a conceit that for some reason Debian Developers (who,
> of course, only run Debian on their systems) still maintain while the
> rest of the world believes the exact opposite.

> Debian has had a long history of being hostile towards any attempt to
> provide .debs that aren't in the archive, both socially and technically.

Er, huh?  I got started with Debian packaging by providing an extensive
set of local .debs for Stanford internal use for quite some time before I
started getting them into the base archive.  Everything just worked.  Not
only did everything just work, but it was *significantly* easier to set
this up and make it work properly with Debian than with Red Hat.

> Walking up to a "man on the street", if anything, you'll find Debian has
> a far worse reputation than RPM and RedHat-derived distributions.  The
> general feeling is that third-party RPMs will almost always install on
> any system, while third-party .debs are practically useless.

This is, to me, an utterly bizarre statement.  My personal experience
could not possibly be more completely opposite to this.