Re: Debian concordance

Scott James Remnant wrote:
> Walking up to a "man on the street", if anything, you'll find Debian has
> a far worse reputation than RPM and RedHat-derived distributions.  The
> general feeling is that third-party RPMs will almost always install on
> any system, while third-party .debs are practically useless.

That's strange, this is not the impression I've gotten from ten years of
reading the debian-user mailing list, participating in Linux and Debian
user groups, or hearing people discuss services such as backports.org
and apt-get.org, or from using them myself.

> A definitive example would be the (eventually abandoned) attempt by
> Ximian to provide debs for Helix GNOME.

Didn't that have more to do with it being experimental, rather flakey,
and conflicting badly with the gnome stuff in Debian?

--
see shy jo