Re: Upcoming removal of orphaned packages

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 20:00 +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Sven Mueller <sven@incase.de> [2005-06-16 20:53]:
> > Though I probably can't adopt it (due to lack of time), it would be a
> > pity to loose this since there is no comparable commandline tool
> > available and it works quite well.
> > If all else fails, I might re-think adopting it.
>
> Andreas Tille expressed interest in this package and I find the
> description quite interesting too.  Does anyone know if there's a
> suitable replacement which is still maintained?
 Quoting[1]:
"[2002/02/06 23:55] PixiePlus[2] now supports similar image finding
using an algorithm based on mine, and for those unable to run a current
version of KDE, gqview[3] will also find your similar images, albeit
using a different algorithm whose results I haven't compared with my
own. Both are FAR faster than findimagedupes and, I would say, both make
it obsolete. If someone else would like to continue its development for
web or other non-GUI purposes (this means you, Debian maintainers ;) ),
by all means feel free, but consider my itch scratched."
Thus I may think it is enough (no more upstream activity, abadonned more
than three years ago, has other and problably better alternatives) to
remove this package, but let others do the choice.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS
[1] http://www.kudla.org/raindog/perl/
[2] http://www.mosfet.org/pixie/