Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 02:16:18AM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> * Marco d'Itri (md@Linux.IT) wrote:
> > I'm here to build the best free OS, not to collect the most liberal
> > trademarks. If a trademark license allows us to ship the software the
> > way we want and there are no practical problems in removing trademark
> > references if it were ever needed then I think it's obvious that we
> > would do a disservice to our users by removing from Debian such a widely
> > know trademark without a good reason.
> Well the whole issue is I don't believe we're allowed to ship the
> software the way we want. We would be compromising our principles by
> doing so.

Sorry, I think I must have missed something here.  Why are you bothering
to ask -devel when you've clearly already decided upon your position?

Like others in this thread I disagree with your position.  I don't think
you'd be compromising Debian's principles in doing this as it's just
about the name and it's purported to be easy to change the name if
downstream users do patch it.

If people want to rip out the guts of firefox then they have to rename
it.  I see no problem here.  Debian has proved it only wants to do nice,
fluffy things to firefox, Gervase is being accomodating as far as I can
tell.

Why do you want to make Debian the distribution that users moan about
shipping iceweasel when there is no reason not to just ship firefox?

Pragmatically yours,

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/  "I got everything up to the /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/       part about `Now listen /**