Re: Ongoing Firefox (and Thunderbird) Trademark problems

** Cesar Martinez Izquierdo ::

> No, I think we should NOT rename Firefox to save our *direct*
> users from such burden. A lot of people would get greatly confused
> with a different name for Firefox, even if you don't think so.
>
> *Indirect* users such as derived distributions should check the
> licenses and other trademark or patent issues before start
> distributing anything. It's their task to check it. We can help
> them if we create Debian packages which are easy to rename, but we
> shouldn't confuse the rest of the users just to make this task
> easier to derived distributions.

The problem I see with your two paragraphs above is that there is
not, and there should not be, real difference between direct and
indirect users of free software. Free software is supposed to be
distributed freely for anyone without discrimination of field of
endeavour, and IMHO this includes making a derived distro.

And, to top it, "Our priorities are Free Software and our users",
not "... and our *direct* users".

> > > And if you finally plan to rename Firefox, you should start
> > > renaming PHP, unless I missed something...
> >
> > If the same restriction applies to PHP, I'm all for it.
>
> Oh yes, it would be funny. "I've programmed a webpage in PZP but
> it doesn't render correctly in Littlefox".  When should we start
> the project "Debian-rest of the world branding reference"?

Whenever upstream asks us to do it or permits our downstreams not to
do it. At least IMHO.

--
HTH, most Respectfully,
Massa