Re: links to logs in /etc? (/etc/postgresql/7.4/main/log)

ma, 2005-06-13 kello 23:56 +0200, Olaf van der Spek kirjoitti:
> On 6/13/05, Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
> > That's a stupid argument.
>
> It's not that stupid.
> If other files shouldn't be there, the specs should explicitly state that.

The Debian Policy does not, and cannot, have a rule for every case where
some judgement is to be applied while making Debian packages. Such a
document would be much too big and complicated to be useful. Therefore,
we rely on package maintainers applying common sense to keep things
working, sensible, and tidy.

That said, the Debian Policy document does mandage use of the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard (FHS), which in turn describes /etc like this: "/etc
contains configuration files and directories that are specific to the
current system". This cannot reasonably be interpreted to mean anything
than "configuration stuff only". When I say reasonably, I mean that a
sharp lawer-like mind might interpret it in whatever way they wish, on a
larch, but that is not useful for building an operating system.