Re: links to logs in /etc? (/etc/postgresql/7.4/main/log)

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 17:11 -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>
> > On 6/13/05, Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
> > > That's a stupid argument.
> >
> > It's not that stupid.
>
> But it is.

Calling an argument stupid is another way of saying you disagree with it
but cannot be bothered to adduce your own arguments -- or don't want to
risk someone else's calling them stupid.  It is the logical fallacy of
Appeal to Ridicule.

> > If other files shouldn't be there, the specs should explicitly state
> that.
>
> Use just a *little* bit of common sense.

FHS does explicitly forbid binaries in /etc, but does not forbid other
things that are not configuration files.  The obvious implication is
that, though those things may be undesirable, they are not forbidden.

It is certainly desirable to keep things as much in accordance with the
intention of policy as possible, but policy and the FHS do allow some
latitude, even if only by not making their definitions rigorously
complete.  Since I don't know why Martin chose to do it this way, I
can't advance his arguments in favour of using that latitude.

   Do you want to know God?   http://www.lfix.co.uk/knowing_god.html