Re: Bits from the dpkg maintainer

On Sunday 12 June 2005 14:05, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> The Wig & Pen ("Format: 2.0") source format is an evolutionary (rather
> than revolutionary) change to the current source package format.
> Brendan O'Dea's work on providing _unpack_ support has been integrated
> into dpkg-source.  Support for building these formats will be added as
> it matures and solidifies.
>
> Existing source packages ("Format: 1.0") are supported without
> modification.
>
> The basics of the new format are:
>
>     * Multiple upstream tarballs are supported:
[...]
>     * The "Debian Diff" may be replaced by the "Debian Tar":
[...]
>     * Bzip2 compression is supported as an alternative to gzip.

As a practical matter, how soon will these really be supported in Debian? Is
dpkg change all that is needed? i.e. Could I upload a new revision of a
package that has multiple upstream tarballs, and a debian.tar.bz2 right
now, or are there a lot of other things that have to change first?

--
Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>