Re: And now for something completely different... etch!

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 08:03:31AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > This sounds like a good idea, but will need very careful logic.
> > For instance, some older (APM-based) Toshiba laptops work well with the
> > toshiba module and the toshset package where newer (ACPI-based) laptops
> > need the toshiba-acpi module which does not work with toshset.
> > I would suspect that similar distinctions exist for other makes.
>
> If installing both packages is a problem on some machines, we would need
> to either fix the package to not do evil things on unsupported hardware,
> or or have two tasks.

I am in favor of fixing the packages instead of complicating task
selection.  From a user persective, task selection should be a no
brainer.  The user, ideally, should not to be too concerned with whether
the laptop has APM, ACPI, or both.

I have already adopted toshutils and will be adopting/uploading toshset
next week with a new version that is supposed to (according to upstream)
handle both APM and ACPI variants.  Let me know what I need to do.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr