Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:45:00PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> On Thursday 02 June 2005 10:47, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> --cut--
> > We are doing what we can, with the resources available to us, to make our
> > work available to Debian, through the patch publishing mechanism, and
> > cooperation with Debian teams.  If there is a different approach which
> > could be implemented using the same resources, I am willing to listen to
> > such proposals, but we have very limited developer resources compared to
> > Debian.
>
> Well, it's visible that Ubuntu developers try to cooperate with DD according
> to their resources, which is something really nice to see. There are some
> technical or communication details which need to be resolved, like which
> SCM's have to be used for packaging and/or development, where, how to branch
> certain specific derivations if any, and the like. If a consensus point of
> these is reached, which could be resolved on a per-team basis (e.g. like
> gnome, d-i teams) I see no big obstacles for DD's and other children
> distributons developers (I don't mean Ubuntu's ones only here) to cooperate
> on alioth svn, arch, darcs and so on repos.
Hi George and others,
what, if any, other debian-derived distrobutions(DDD) have any relationship
with Debian in regards to developer communication, patch submission,
number of packages that are used directly from debian and which are DDD
maintained. Moreover, would it be helpful to have a document that lists
criteria for how closely DDDs work with Debian. There are many:
Kantonix, Knoppix, Gnoppix, Morphix, Ubuntu,... And user-folken may not
be aware of the relationships and may assume that all DDD are in total
collaboration with Debian.
Cheers,
kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!