Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Thursday 02 June 2005 10:47, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
--cut--
> We are doing what we can, with the resources available to us, to make our
> work available to Debian, through the patch publishing mechanism, and
> cooperation with Debian teams.  If there is a different approach which
> could be implemented using the same resources, I am willing to listen to
> such proposals, but we have very limited developer resources compared to
> Debian.

Well, it's visible that Ubuntu developers try to cooperate with DD according
to their resources, which is something really nice to see. There are some
technical or communication details which need to be resolved, like which
SCM's have to be used for packaging and/or development, where, how to branch
certain specific derivations if any, and the like. If a consensus point of
these is reached, which could be resolved on a per-team basis (e.g. like
gnome, d-i teams) I see no big obstacles for DD's and other children
distributons developers (I don't mean Ubuntu's ones only here) to cooperate
on alioth svn, arch, darcs and so on repos. Branch distro-specific stuff as
well, and upload packages in your own archive. Yes, I understand that
sometimes it is hard to reach the consensus point, but needs to be tried.
Certainly "howto team" hint document is needed here.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <danchev.fccf.net/key pgp.mit.edu>
fingerprint    1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB