Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 06:17:48AM -0700, Stephen Birch wrote:
> > Some things about the relationship are going to be hard, though.  I
> > was very distressed to find that a last-minute ABI change in sarge's
> > glibc will cause any package built on sarge that gets a versioned
> > glibc dependency to be uninstallable on hoary.  I really had hoped to
> > run the same mysql-server packages on both, and I'm not quite sure
> > what I'm going to do for a distro-neutral C++ build environment.  :-(

> So *that* was the cause.  I have been helping a client upgrade
> machines from sarge to Ubuntu and our internal software broke with a
> glibc conflict.  It means we are forced to either keep two
> repositories of internal code or switch EVERY machine to Ubunto. Sigh.

Or build against hoary knowing that it'll be installable on both?

Or override the glibc shlibs, because the only ABI change in glibc is to
sched_[gs]et_affinity, which you're probably not using and can therefore
ignore if you know what you're doing (whereas this ABI change can't be
ignored for Debian at large)?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer