Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 06:17:48AM -0700, Stephen Birch wrote:

> No .. it wasn't intended to be sarcastic.  Both the Ubuntu supporters
> and the opponents will be watching to see what takes place.

Firstly, please don't divide the community by implying that they must choose
sides.  There are plenty of reasonable people who don't adopt either of
these labels, and base their decisions on their immediate experience.

If what you're hoping is that after Sarge releases, Ubuntu developers will
sweep in and upload all of the Ubuntu diffs into Debian, that simply isn't
going to happen.  Then, as now, the process of integrating these changes
will depend primarily on Debian maintainers to drive it, just as with other
development efforts in Debian.  We are of course happy to provide our code
(and have been doing so from the beginning), but we cannot force it into
Debian.

> Yes they are pros.  I haven't started tracking ubuntu-devel yet but from
> the reading I have done it looks like Ubuntu has managed to avoid some of
> the volatile discourse (flames) that can be counter productive and,
> frankly, embarrassing in debian-devel.

I think this is much easier to avoid for a smaller organization; it will
become more challenging in the future.

--
 - mdz