Re: Is Ubuntu a debian derivative or is it a fork?

        Hi,

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005, George Danchev wrote:
> Out of curiousity, is there real examples of DD's and UD's sharing common
> revison control repo for their packaging, e.g. on alioth or at the relevant
> ubuntu service if there is any like alioth ? This way both kind of
> maintainers can coordinate more tightly without need to have access to each
> other's ftp archive/uploadqueue/whatever. I guess that will not work for some
> packages, but for the rest this will be a big benefit imho.

 The Debian GNOME team counts Ubuntu developers and has write access to
 the pkg-gnome alioth SVN repository.  Ubuntu GNOME packages are
 directly derived from the Debian ones (rebuilt with minor changes), but
 the work is usually done in the pkg-gnome SVN repository, preparing the
 GNOME 2.10 experimental packages for example, and then adapter slightly
 to Ubuntu.
   AFAICT, Ubuntu doesn't have an additional SCM after pkg-gnome's one
 to deal with that for most packages.

 Ubuntu's developers are giving a lot back through that channel since
 any reported bug at Ubuntu will get fixed on both sides (and of course
 Debian bugs too).

   Regards,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
"Neutral President: I have no strong feelings one way or the other."