Re: Dear Adrian Bunk, Please hold off a week or two

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> * "unstable" is actually frozen, which means uploads for unstable are
> either discouraged, they remain in the limbo, or they are automatically
> put in some other distribution above unstable, like new-unstable, until
> testing or unstable becomes the new stable.

At which point there are *still* fixed bugs that don't make it into the
release.  They're fixed upstream, fixed in experimental, fixed in private
working repositories that don't get uploaded due to the freeze, etc.
There are also the bugs that people just don't notice.

As near as I can tell (and I've had a package affected by this), the
release team is doing a great job making sure that fixes that they know
about propagate into sarge.  There will be fixes they don't know about.
There will be RC bugs found after the release.  Debian is just far, far
too large to be able to release a bug-free distribution.  This isn't a
serious problem; this is just life.  If they're RC and actually
significant (some of the missing dependencies are RC but not really that
important for normal use scenarios), hopefully they can be fixed through
proposed-updates.

Let's not spend a bunch of time fretting about the last 1%.  Doing
something reasonable and then going with it will produce results that will
be quite acceptable in practice.