Re: Dear Adrian Bunk, Please hold off a week or two

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 12:17:29PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:

> Adrian, I've noticed lately that almost every post you send is about the
> release; Pointing out problems with some feature or other of it or with
> the actions of the hard working people who are trying to get sarge out
> the door.
>
> Do you think you could manage to leave your critisms til next week when
> we might have released and turn them into constructive criticisms
> instead of merely demanding pieces of information from the release team?
>
> I don't know what you hope to achieve by doing this.  "Never attribute
> to malice what can be explained by ignorance".  Maybe you just don't
> realise that you're pestering the release team and others and drawing
> them into pointless debates which won't help release sarge.
>
> I'd like to ask you publically to hold off for a couple of weeks with
> these questions.  I'm sure you have an entirely rational reason for
> asking them and that it will end up being productive for Debian but I
> honestly think it would be better if they were asked later on.  A
> post-mortem of this release in order to better prepare for Etch might
> indeed help us and I can only imagine you're itching to write it given
> the number of questions you've asked.
>
> Once sarge releases I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to talk about
> how to get a quicker, predictable release schedule for Etch.

Could you please read and understand the email you are answering to
before sending such emails?

My email was not about the release process for sarge (unless the release
process for sarge will be aborted a third time, there's nothing that can
be changed).

My email was about an issue that is present _now_ and that has to be
attacked _before_ sarge.

Or do you _really_ want to release sarge with many dozens of already
known and fixed bugs?

> Thanks,

cu
Adrian